Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Reece Museum


Last Wednesday, I went to the Reece Museum with my great friend Emilee, to see the art on display. We saw many things. We saw pictures of naked women on top of American flags. The artist wrote “I have incorporated my recent fascination of the nude portrait into the stories of the American Revolution and Civil War to illustrate power.” I wondered why the artist was specifically fascinated with nude portraits of women. I then realized that the artist was male. I was slightly less impressed.

There was also a dead bird in a picture frame, holding an American flag. The artist wrote that this was an illustration of her pain. She writes- “I have been blind. I have hoped too much.” The artist suffered childhood trauma and was also crippled. I was very sorry to read this. I was also sorry because I decided that this piece had been wasted on me. I could not get past the fact that it was a dead bird.
                                                                     Actual dead bird 

There were many other pieces that I enjoyed very much. There were several that I found quite meaningful and several others that I found quite powerful. It is, however, much more fun to write about scandalous artists and dead birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment