Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Another Project Update

I bit off way more than I could chew for this Collo project, and I have absolutely no regrets.

My last blog post was about some of the research I have done. I was very pokey and did not even post it until about a month after I’d written it; I sent it to Mrs. D’Avella so she could double check my facts, and then I waited a good while before taking half an hour to read and implement her corrections.

I would estimate that I’ve put about 30 total hours into this project by now. Some of those hours should definitely have been spent studying for a Chemistry exam, but this project was far more fun. Most of my work has gone into writing and drawing. I ended up putting off some aspects of the work because the resources were hard to get my hands on.

I did put 30 hours of work in, and since I wasn’t really done, I decided to push my goals way up and turn this into a full-blown summer project.

Things that I have done so far:

-Thoroughly outlined 4 short children’s stories (in a notebook) and revised every plot until I found it satisfactory

-Mostly finished the text of 3 out of 4 stories. Writing a complete draft of a story is not difficult, and the brunt of the work lies in the revision process. I would consider the text of these 3 stories about 90% done. My rewriting and editing is to increase clarity, increase accessibility, and to fit the story into the 6 designated pages. My total wordcount is about 1,200.

-Finished approximately ¼ of the total sketches I want to include. I spent a lot less time drawing than I expected to. The pictures are based around the text and the structure of the story, so naturally, the story ought to be written before too much work is given to the illustrations. This occurred to me as soon as I actually started working on the stories. I am currently drawing in pencil on notebook paper. The sketches each take about 8 minutes. 

This is my Biology notebook


Things that I would like to do in the future:

-Finalize the text of my 4 stories and send them to Mrs. D’Avella for feedback before I publish them

-Scan the pencil-on-notebook-paper illustrations and then re-trace them in a drawing program on my computer or phone, ensuring that the end result looks clean.

-Spend a lot more time on the future website than I originally intended, ensuring that it is extremely accessible and easy to navigate. This is because I kind of want to keep going after these 4 stories are complete.

-Convince my 15-year-old brother, who is very good at reading aloud, to help me make an audio recording of the stories that I can also include on my website.

-Talk to someone who knows about copyrighting (at the request of my mom) and see if there are any legal-related things that it would be responsible to know before publishing free pdfs of original stories

No comments:

Post a Comment