Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Epic Summer Job


This summer, I worked at the nature center at Steele Creek park. I only live a couple minutes away from Steele Creek, so I knew the park and the naturalists pretty well before I applied. I hoped to have some sort of science job this summer, and this was perfect.

The first couple days I worked, I stayed in the nature center and the other naturalists showed me the ropes. Working in the nature center meant answering phones, answering questions, giving guided tours, and making sure kids don’t pet the taxidermy animals. The first day, as soon as the nature center was empty, Lance showed me how to take care of the reptiles, amphibians, insects, and spiders living in the nature center’s 20 tanks.  

As soon as my spring finals were over, the head naturalist sent me home with a mountain of reading material. I got to give snake and turtle shows to school groups that came through, and sometimes to the public. Steele Creek has a lot of scheduled programs, but we do impromptu events too, like when a nature center visitor asks if they can pet a snake. (You thought you were just here to feel the snake… haha NO! Now you’ll be forced to learn about it too.)


My other exciting task was helping with nature day camps. I didn’t have to do much teaching, but I did a lot of learning. There were about 12 kids in each day camp, ages 7 to 14. The naturalists took turns running the day camp, and I helped the designated naturalist manage the kids.

This was really one of the most exciting things I could’ve done this summer, and I’m so glad I had the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment