Friday, August 9, 2019

Buc-ee's Convenience Store


Aunt Katherine and I drove up to Dallas one weekend. Five minutes after we’d left all signs of civilization, I admitted I had to pee, so we started searching for exit signs. On a blue “attractions sign, Aunt Katherine spotted a cartoon beaver’s head in a yellow circle. “Buc-ee’s!” she exclaimed. She missed the exit. But she was so inexplicably set on this convenience store that she took the next exit and backtracked five miles until we’d reached the destination. 

 We hopped out of our car for an experience so monumental it may well have been the climactic point of the entire trip to Dallas.


 I am not able to communicate what makes this store such an important Texan feature, but I can explain what it’s like to shop there. Firstly, it was teeming with people. I could not believe my eyes. It seemed we had not even passed ten other cars in the past ten minutes of driving. Apparently, that was because everyone was at Buc-ee’s. 

 It was a lot like a normal convenience store, but it was three times bigger and had clean bathrooms. An entire wall was filled with different types of beef jerky. I hadn’t even realized there was more than one type in existence. They had warm food, fudge, cartons of ice cream, and hot pink bathing suits. They gave us free samples of the fudge, and I also tried a sample of their fudge brownies. How can convenience store fudge taste so delicious? The answer remains unclear. 

 We left with some chocolate and coconut fudge, a postcard for my family, and a t-shirt: the perfect gift from Aunt Katherine to commemorate the occasion.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment